Monday, August 3, 2009

Downs and Ups, and Sign, Signs, Everywhere There's Signs

Downs and Ups and Are
 We There Yet?
In my family, the words "remember the time when . . . " will usually spin off into a story about something that happened when we were young, often on one of our yearly family vacations. Not long ago, my father was reminiscing about the trip we took to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Now, it's important to add here that the Upper Peninsula is Michigan in name only. I think I heard once that if Car 1 started driving south from the Michigan/Ohio line at exactly the same time that Car 2 headed north from the same point, Car 1 would arrive in Atlanta, Georgia, long before Car 2 hit the northernmost tip of the Upper Peninsula at Copper Harbor. 

This may be an urban myth and/or geographically incorrect, but it illustrates the point nicely that Copper Harbor is UP THERE and FAR AWAY. And to four kids under the age of nine, driving the length of the UP seemed like forever, probably even longer to my poor parents. Upon arriving late at the small motel/restaurant where we were staying in Copper Harbor, my dad asked the owner whether it would be possible to order peanut butter sandwiches for the kids and two cold martinis for the adults. "I think I can do that," she said.

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure we asked the question "Are we there yet?" a time or two during the drive that day, a question I've asked myself a lot recently as I sat down to write. So I'm happy to report that on Monday, August 3, at approximately 3:13 p.m. Central Daylight Savings Time, I arrived at the end of the first draft of my novel: 416 pages in all. 

I like to tell my students that writing is a lot of downs and ups: You get it down, then you fix it up. I have a lot of fixing up to do, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the moment. And maybe celebrate later with a glass of Champagne.

Signs, Signs . . . . 
I had to include this photo of last month's sign in front of the First Baptist Church.  

About that Champagne  . . . 
I searched this town for a glass or a split of Champagne (i.e., anything bubbly and fortified). No glasses, only bottles. So the toast is on hold.
 

2 comments: