Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Good Yarn

My Name is Sarah and I'm a Knitter . . . .

I posted a picture of my cats on Facebook a couple weeks ago and got some interesting comments. Some sharp-eyed readers honed in on the plastic bins the cats were sitting on, more specifically, what was in those bins.

Yes, it's yarn. Yes, I knit.

God, I feel so much
better now that that's out.

Actually, I've been knitting on and off for most of my life, but I took it up more consistently in 1984. That was the year I quit smoking (cigarettes) and needed something to do with my hands that wasn't lighting and/or stubbing out Newports. So knitting it was. I knit sweaters for myself, my sisters, my mother, and my friends. I knit mittens and gloves and hats and scarves and when I wasn't knitting, I was chewing on my knitting needles because I so badly wanted to smoke a cigarette. Eventually that addiction faded away, but I've kept knitting, especially in the fall. How else can I excuse my addiction to NFL on CBS or the baseball playoffs?

Last year I knit my three sisters and five of my friends fingerless gloves in all colors of the spectrum. This year, in an effort to be kind to the environment and to my bank account, I'm going to knit a multi-colored blanket using scrap yarn in my bins, donations from friends, and recycled wool from thrift shop sweaters. I plan to knit until the end of the year and will blog my progress at various times, with pictures.

The Other Yarn

Revision on the novel is progressing nicely. I finished the Section I on Thursday and will begin to tackle Section 2, the part I wrote this summer, tomorrow.

I've been revising poems as well. Such fun . . .



6 comments:

  1. Knitting is a noble sport for nible fingers. I admire your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! I really don't have nimble fingers--figure it's a way to feel less guilty about watching baseball/football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knit, too! I think we should have a knitting party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am planning to host some "W(h)ine and Wool" Saturdays or Sundays in late fall. You will be first on the invite list!

    ReplyDelete